Samuel Berchie Kankam, M.D. student from Ghana, sat down for a little chat with Emmanuel A

ارسال ها
لایک ها
امتیاز
Interviewer (Emmanuel Adutwum): Good Morning!Samuel Berchie Kankam: Good morning, Emmanuel! - Can you please tell us a little bit about yourself?- My name is Samuel Berchie Kankam, a Ghanaian and a first year medical student at arguably the best medical university in Iran, that is Tehran University of Medical Sciences (TUMS). I came to Iran in early February this year. I am currently in my second semester, and I can say that all has been well so far. - Great! If I could ask, who influenced you the most in your early years?- Well, I seem to have had a lot of people making substantial influence in my early life but among all is my eldest brother, Benjamin Afreh, who, after realizing my interest in medicine, made every effort to encourage me to keep up with my studies. He taught me that hard work is the only key to great success. He introduced me to a lot of people who have successfully made it in life despite the odds and has always motivated me to do my best. In fact, he has been a brother and a guardian, and everything I’m doing today is by his help. I am really grateful to him. - How did you hear about this university?- Hmmm, actually, I had the motivation to study medicine when I was in my first year in senior high school. However, there were limited facilities to accommodate all graduating high school students interested in medicine in my home country. I had also thought of studying abroad which I knew could add to my experience. I then started my search for medical schools abroad where I came across the advertisement of TUMS over the internet. Without delay, I submitted my application, and, fortunately, I was selected with a scholarship.. - Is first year in medical school too stressful?- [Laughs] I would say yes. In the first year of medical school, the student’s mind is not that well acquainted with medical terminologies which makes the experience very stressful for most students. This, coupled with the fact that you are introduced into a new study environment with lots of studying to do, makes it really stressful. The ability of a medical student to adapt successfully, I think, ensures the continuous success of the student in the remaining semesters. However, it’s somehow normal for me because I knew that medicine in itself is a course that entails a lot and is very demanding. Thus, I am mentally and physically prepared to face all challenges. - What do you like most about medicine?- Medicine is a life-saving career. Medicine is our ultimate hope when we seem down in our health and our life. Most people who have visited a hospital before could tell you the important role medicine has in our daily lives. From the very start of our lives, we are introduced to it and the very end of our lives seems to be linked to it. This and many others have really motivated me to choose medicine as my career in life. I love medicine so much. - What has been the most important day of your life?- I can say that the day I got admission to TUMS has been one of the most important days of my life. It was an open door to my life career, and I continually reiterate my gratitude to TUMS for giving me such opportunity to pursue my education. - What would you most like to learn here at TUMS that would help you in the future?- The ultimate aim of a physician is to practice the knowledge he or she has acquired in school to save people’s lives. I would like to acquire the best possible knowledge that can help me practice efficiently and safely when I return home. Without doubt, I am also interested in learning the great hospitality I have observed among the Iranian people. - What are some of the resources available to you as a medical student at TUMS?- TUMS has a great asset; the professors. They are very friendly and also teach to the understanding of the students, lectures have been allocated to professors based on their research interests and this has really improved their approach to teaching. I could also mention the well-equipped laboratories with modern instruments for medical studies and research. Also worth mentioning is the summer school workshop organized for medical students. We learned various skills in cadaver dissection, and it has been really helpful. The university continues to improve the facilities available including the new TUMS Language Academy. - You mentioned TUMS language academy, can you tell us a bit about it?- Well, I will say that TUMS Language Academy is great. But as you know, learning a new language may not be easy to cope with. The language academy tries its best though to teach us to understand the Persian language so we can fit better in the Iranian community. Before I joined the language academy, I thought it was going to be so difficult but it’s been fun and interesting so far. All students interested in learning Persian are welcome to join the academy. It’s really helpful. - What major problems have you encountered and how did you deal with it?- By the grace of the Almighty God, I’ve not had any major problems since I arrived. As I told you, at the beginning, I though Persian was going to be so difficult for me but with the help of the language academy, I am gradually mastering it. - Sounds good! Are there any fond memories you have had so far in Iran that you would like to share with us?- I enjoyed the trip organized by the university to Abadan and Ahwaz in the south of Iran. - It was pleasure talking to you.- The pleasure was mine. Thank you.

بالا